Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to turn glass jars into DIY pharmacy jars with labels


I've been stockpiling glass jars for weeks now - saving everything from peanut butter jars to salsa containers and spaghetti sauce jars.  The reason for my hoarding?? I need cheap, see-through storage with lids for my growing craft supplies.  Storage containers aren't necessarily expensive, but when you can make them for free or pennies, why not especially when they look like these cool pharmacy jars.

The easiest way to turn glass jars into storage is to soak them in water and then use a sponge to peel of off the label.  It can be that easy and if you're just getting started or have no desire to make them fancy - then by all means stop there.

But I'm into cute and "collections" and so I needed a way to bring my hodge podge of different size containers together.   Plus, I wanted to take the cuteness factor up a notch on the scale...you feel me??


Since I started with several different size and shape jars the easiest way to bring them all into a cohesive group was to make their lids the same and to add labels.  I rummaged around my garage and found two old wood drawer pulls.  These are definitely not necessary and even less functional, but they just make the jars look that much less like an old spaghetti sauce container and more like pharmacy jars.

This is seriously the easiest thing so all this verbal throwup that's coming out of my mouth is so ridiculous...let me just get to the point paint.

Use a glue gun to attach the drawer pull to the center of each lid.



Then spray paint the lid and topper. 

Now, you can stop here or you can add labels, too.  Of course, since they're glass and you can clearly see what's in the jars, labels are also unnecessary, but why not?

So to add labels to glass jars all you do it print your labels on the computer.  I created a a few free sets of thought bubble printable labels if you'd like to use them.  They come in two sizes and in blank or pre-filled.  If you're not interested...it's cool, I get it... just print some on your home computer and printer.
After you cut them to size, use a foam brush to put a layer of mod podge on your jar.  It doesn't have to be the exact size of the label, just enough that it will keep it in place.

After you stick the label on, use the foam brush to put another layer of mod podge over the paper label.

You can wipe off the excess if you want or just let it dry - it dries clear.   Let it dry for a few hours and you're good to go.





See I could have said the whole tutorial in like three steps, but here I am about eight paragraphs deep.

Until my next ramble...enjoy your adorable DIY glass jar storage containers or pharmacy jars or whatever it is you want to call them....If you have any left over jars or feel the intense urge to eat Italian for the next week or go through a jar of pickles tonight, you could always turn those jars into these awesome Pottery Barn-inspired sand votives that can be used as cheap outdoor lighting. 

...and don't forget to check out these awesome blogs! 

Linking to:
 Posted by: Melissa

4 comments:

  1. In this article understand the most important thing, the item will give you a keyword rich link a great useful website page: farmacia bergamo orari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. 메이저사이트

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trade schools are all a little different from each other, so you'll want to research all of them to find one that's best for you. If they are accredited, you may also qualify for financial aid grants and loans. Pharmacy tech programs online


    ReplyDelete
  4. There couple of fascinating points with time in this post but I don’t know if these center to heart. There’s some validity but I am going to take hold opinion until I explore it further. Excellent article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner likewise buy Hydroxychloroquine online

    ReplyDelete